Tuesday, July 1, 2008

I want it now!( something to think about)

I wasn't going to get online to write in my journal again today but while I was out I had gotten a church flyer that was very thought provoking. It was called" I want it now"

He was talking about how our society has become, for the most part, a now society. We have the commercials about the lump sum payouts that we can get instead of waiting for the monthly payments. We have instant oatmeal, coffee, and many instant foods. It had gotten me thinking about how we now how microwaves to heat up our food. My grandmother used to take hours to cook a full meal and now it takes minutes. The same with baking. There is instant cookie dough. Most people dont make thier own cake batter or cookie dough. Credit cards are the tools for our now thought pattern if you think about it. You dont have to save up with a credit card just get it right away and pay for it later. This is where large credit card debt comes into play. Then we tend to over spend and buy things that we really dont need. i have bought many things that at the time I thought i needed now it sits in my closet or dusty on the shelf.

" Impulse buying has ruined relationships and lives" (Pastor B. J. Knefly said) "living our lives to satisfy our immediate desires can lead to regret and remorse" I know that is true because i have bought something only to regret buying it when I had gotten home.

Proverbs 3:13-15 "Happy is the person who finds wisdom and gains understanding. For the profit of wisdom is better than silver, and her wages are better than gold. Wisdon is more precious than rubies; nothing you desire can compare to her."

I know I am guilty of this sometimes. It's just for a thought.

God Bless

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with this, Christine! While I have no problem with some of the things that have made it easier to cook, keep house, etc., I have a REAL problem with the way credit card companies prey on people. My parents lament the fact that kids today seem to want everything right now. Mom and Dad saved for years to get to where they wanted to, and pinched every penny.

I don't know what happened to the concept of saving for the things we want, rather than just putting them on credit cards!

Great entry.

Beth

Anonymous said...

It's been really nice to be dating a man who can see the bigger picture with things.  So many do not have patience.  

Of course, having food be able to be cooked sooner than "several hours" allows me time to actually work or spend with my daughter, so sometimes it's a good thing to have convenience, but still, taking the time to sit and talk while eating is good, too.  And etc.

May you feel your blessings today!  -- Robin

Anonymous said...

Patience is NOT one of my virtues but I'm getting better at it. If I want something I always try to save up for it. I figure if I want it bad enough I'll wait till I have the money for it and make getting it all that much more worthwhile. Doc and I don't spend money easily. For example we went the entire winter in NY without heat in our truck, a door that wouldn't open on the passenger side (I had to climb out the drivers side and exit that way with Pickles), now we have enough money to get a decent vehicle. I've dubbed this latest generation the instant Gen X. I doubt if our kids could understand having to earn something and not getting instant gratification for something they did. (Hugs)Indigo

Anonymous said...

Yes we live in a world where people want things now! Children are wanting what their parents have.. that took their parents years to gain. My husband has told me for a year to get a new computer. I did not until it came in the mail from Best Buy last Thursday. I opened the box to make sure that it was not broken. Packed it back up and it is sitting in the extra bedroom still in the box. He wanted to know when I was going to have Best Buy come and set it up. I have not made the appt. yet. lol I have owned my old one for 6 years now. I will call tomorrow and have them come out this coming Thursday. I have been just too busy to deal with a new computer. lol I have not gone to auction sales or garage sales with my husband for the last 2 weeks... yes it is called impulse buying! I have too much stuff now! It didn't cost me that much... but it is taking up my LIVING space. lol Peace beyond understanding... believing God is in control, His will for you is good, and He is taking care of things are worth more than silver, gold, or riches. In my prayers, Janie